Information for Inspection Stations
This area of the Drive Clean Pennsylvania web site is set
aside to provide information to service station personnel
interested in the Vehicle Emissions Inspection & Maintenance
OBD II Inspection Flow Charts
The OBD II Inspection
Flow Charts are designed to help guide you through
different inspection results you may encounter during the
normal course of OBD II inspections and repairs. Following
the flow charts will help prevent unnecessary time loss due
to improper procedures. In the event you encounter a vehicle
that you are not able to "Ready" for an inspection or are
not able to provide a waiver, please call the station operator
hot line at 1-888-265-5909 and ask for your call to be "Escalated".
Approved Auto Technician Training
- To become a certified emissions inspector,
you must be at least 18 years of age, have a valid driver's
license, attend a PENNDOT-approved certification course
and successfully complete the prescribed tests. Here is
a list of approved emissions schools to contact for course availability.
Inspectors must take recertification courses and tests every two years to be recertified. Contact an approved school.
- For becoming an inspector restricted to the Northern counties, prospective students should call Parsons at (888)265-5909. They will be given instructions on how to apply, obtain course materials, and take the test. Inspectors in the Northern region must take a proctored recertification test at an approved institution. See a list of institutions for training in the Northern region.
Parsons provides support services for Pennsylvania's inspection training program. Contact your school or Parsons at (888)265-5909, for questions about training such as test results and inspector cards.
- A station wishing to apply to become an official PENNDOT
emissions inspection station should contact the appropriate
county Quality Assurance Officer. To find the Quality Assurance
Officer in your area, please check the Quality
Assurance Officers contact list.
Status of OBD and VISUAL Emissions Equipment Specification Changes
Where To Get Emissions Testing Equipment
Service Station Bulletins
- I/M Updates (PDF)
- I/M-Related Bulletins
- Bulletin for Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and
Philadelphia counties only.
Inspection Programs in Other States
- Inspection Programs in Other States
- Includes reciprocity information on requirements for availability
of tests for out of state and Pennsylvania-registered vehicles
driven out of state. Prepared by the Illinois EPA (8/10)(PDF)
Station Operator Hot Line
Use this number to request